Free parking is provided for all Boardwalk Crew Members. When you start working, obtain a parking sticker from the Boardwalk Employee Services Office at the back side of the Haunted Castle building, near Giant Dipper and railroad tracks. This sticker, when presented with your ID card, will allow you to park for free.Read more
Crew Members can park in any designated parking lot. During our peak weekends and summer, an employee shuttle is in place called B.E.R.T. (Boardwalk Employee Rapid Transit). A separate detailed booklet will be provided on the parking policy and the B.E.R.T. Shuttle when it is in operation.Parking stickers are issued out of the Boardwalk Employee Services Office. Boardwalk ID card and car details will be required.
After you have the important job experience from Countersales, many opportunities await you. The first thing to do is to ask yourself some questions:Read more
- “Am I knowledgeable enough that I would be extremely good at training a new person to work in the store that I am interested in?”
- “Do I understand all of Whiting’s Foods policies and procedures?”
- “Do I FOLLOW all of those policies and can I lead by example?”
- “Do I have a schedule that isn’t TOO complicated or involving a lot of time off requirements?”
Did you answer with an enthusiastic “YES!” to all of these questions? GREAT! Continue reading to see what is next:
- Check our our list in the office for which locations we have openings available. (You can apply for stores without any openings too – This makes your interest known should a position open up.)
- Fill out our Promoted Position Questionnaire. (Available in the office lobby or HERE)
- Complete the questionnaire and turn it into the office.
- We will review the information and we will follow up with as quickly as we can.
Brief Description of Jobs:
Store Lead: Holds the responsibilities of opening and/or closing a specific store location. Maintains a smooth operation and cleanliness of the location throughout the day. Thoroughly and properly trains people on their very first day at Whiting’s Foods, as well as on first day in that particular location. Assures that consistent, friendly and quality service is provided to Guests.
SETS AN EXAMPLE TO ALL!
Kitchen Crew: This position is one step removed from interacting directly with Boardwalk Guests. Because of the benefit of not interacting with Guests, there is not a change in wage for this position. The Kitchen Crew holds the responsibilities of providing consistent, quality food products made in compliance with Whiting’s Foods preparation and sanitation guidelines. Keeps kitchen area clean and organized. Thoroughly and properly trains any one who may need to assist in the kitchen on any given day.
SETS AN EXAMPLE TO ALL!
Fill out a Time Off Request Form. There is a drop box for time off requests located in the office lobby. A minimum of 14 days notice is required for schedule requests.Read more
Fill out a “Request for Schedule Adjustment” form. There is a drop box for schedule adjustments located in the office lobby. You may be required to turn in your request to our office operations office supervisor on duty.
You may also submit your requests via our online scheduling site: WhenToWork.com.
You will need your sign in information to login. As with any request, a minimum of 14 days notice is required for schedule requests. You may also use this site to post scheduled shifts that you cannot work to the Tradeboard.
Schedule conflicts or vacations listed on applications or mentioned in an interview do not count as schedule requests. Please be sure to officially submit your request for time off.
We reserve the right to select certain holidays (or days of high business level expectations) as “black-out dates” where an extremely limited number of time off requests will be granted.
If an emergency should arise and you cannot give 10 days advance notice, please speak directly with a Whiting’s Foods Supervisor.
Identification cards, complete with photos are issued to all Boardwalk Crew Members.Read more
These cards have many important uses; parking in the Boardwalk lots, receiving a free ride pass, employee food discounts and any purpose where official identification of your Crew Member status is needed.
Your ID card may be used for access to some doors. The ID card is Boardwalk property and must be returned to us upon termination of employment. If your card is not returned, the cost for lost cards or for replacing ID cards will be deducted from your final pay.
Whitings Foods PaydaysRead more
|for the pay period of:||Payday is –AFTER 10 AM– on:|
|December 16 – 31, 2017||Friday January 5|
|January 1 – 15, 2018||Friday* January 19|
|January 16 – 31||Monday February 5|
|February 1 – 15||Tuesday February 20 Chance of delay due to holiday|
|February 16 – 28||Monday March 5|
|March 1 – 15||Tuesday March 20|
|March 16 – 31||Thursday April 5|
|April 1 – 15||Friday April 20|
|April 16 – 30||Friday* May the 4th Be With You|
|May 1 – 15||Friday* May 18|
|May 16 – 31||Tuesday June 5|
|June 1 – 15||Wednesday June 20|
|June 16 – 30||Thursday July 5|
|July 1 – 15||Friday July 20|
|July 16 – 31||Friday* August 3|
|August 1 – 15||Monday August 20|
|August 16 – 31||Wednesday September 5 Chance of delay due to holiday|
|September 1 – 15||Thursday September 20|
|September 16 – 30||Friday October 5|
|October 1 – 15||Friday* October 19|
|October 15 – 31||Monday November 5|
|November 1 – 15||Tuesday November 20|
|November 16 – 30||Wednesday December 5|
|December 1 – 15||Thursday December 20|
*Payday does not fall on standard 5th/20th in order to accomodate for weekend/holiday.
Grooming Policy & Standards
The grooming policy and standards were developed for all Boardwalk employees. The Boardwalk’s professional atmosphere is maintained, in part, by the image that you, the Crew Member, project to our guests.Read more
You should therefore use good judgment regarding your dress and appearance. There is ZERO TOLERANCE for violations in this policy Boardwalk-wide. Violation of this grooming policy will result in disciplinary action, ranging from verbal and/or written counseling up to and including termination.
- Arrive to work with a clean shirt and in uniform before you clock in. You must remain in uniform on all rest breaks. (These are defined as 10 or 15 minute breaks.)
- You may purchase a Whiting’s Foods sweatshirt. If you wish, you may wear your own, providing it is of solid color and complements your uniform. Long sleeve shirts in a solid color can be worn under the polo shirt on cool days and nights.
- No signature apparel of any kind, other than company-approved logos, may be worn. (Basically, NO LOGOS.)
- Acceptable pants and shorts are to be clean, presentable, solid-colored (no stripes, etc.). The colors allowed are khaki (tan), grey, navy or black. Fabric choices are denim (but NO blue jeans) or sturdy cotton such as Dickies or Ben Davis. (No sweats, lycra, logo-style or athletic wear.) Baggy, oversized pants or shorts are not allowed. Pants and shorts must fit properly at the waist. No bleached, torn or frayed pants or shorts. Shorts need to be of the “longer” style. No “short” shorts are allowed. Skirts are not allowed.
- Shoes must be worn. They are to be athletic/tennis/skate shoes of the closed toe and closed heel variety. Flip-flops, sandals, ballet flat-style, “fashion” boots and Ugg-style boots are not permitted.
- Only company-issued or approved visors or hats may be worn while you are in uniform. Baseball-style caps must be worn with the bill facing forward. Hats must be a solid color and logo-free.
- No gang related clothing. (Please refrain from wearing most shades of red)
- You must wear your company issued name tag or ID card at all times. If you forget, lose or break you name tag or ID, request a replacement from your Supervisor. There is a charge for replacements.
- All Crew Members must choose hair styles which are conservative and are not extreme. Hair color must be a “natural” color or may be dyed a “natural” color.
- Hair must be pulled back if it extends beyond the shoulders.
- Hair accessories should be minimal and simplistic.
- Beards, mustaches, and goatees are allowed; however, they must be neatly trimmed and no longer than one inch. Other than established facial hair, you must be clean shaven every work day. If not up to standards, you will be sent to shave before your shift. An established beard must not have empty spaces between the sideburns, mustache, or goatee. Sideburns, mustaches, patches and goatees may not be dyed or striped in.
- Jewelry, Accessories, Piercings, Tattoos
- Select tasteful, conservative and appropriate jewelry to wear to work.
- Nose piercings are allowed. It may be one nose stud no bigger than 2mm.
- No other visible body piercings are allowed. INCLUDING TONGUE PIERCINGS.
- Tattoos are not permitted if visible when wearing a company issued uniform or when wearing business or professional dress.
- You may not cover body piercing or tattoos with bandages or make-up.
- Crew are permitted to wear three earrings per ear. Earrings may not exceed two inches in length.
- Bracelets cannot be loose or dangle.
- Gauged ears: Stretched earlobes may be no larger than a 4 gauge. Only plugs may be worn. No tapers or tunnels
- Sunglasses must be simple and conservative. Select glasses which are not mirrored, to maintain eye contact.
- Fingernails must be short and neatly groomed. Artificial nails are not recommended and would require that gloves be worn constantly.
Boardwalk StoresRead more
|Store Name||Location||Main Menu Item(s)|
|Casino Dots||Inside Casino Fun Center||Dippin’ Dots and more!|
|Slush||Next to Double Shot, Pirate Ship||Slushies and Cotton Candy|
|PizzaNow 1||Adjacent to Bumper Cars||Pizza, Breadsticks|
|Beach Tacos & Nachos||Next to Pizza Now 1||Mexican Food|
|Floats||Across from Pizza Now 1||Churros and Ice Cream Floats|
|Carousel Cones||Next to Merry-Go-Round||Soft Serve Ice Cream, Waffle Cones|
|Beachside Snacks||Near Carousel Cones||ICEES, Churros, Kettle Corn and more|
|Dippin’ Dots 1||Across from Beachside Snacks||Dippin’ Dots|
|Blenders||Across from Haunted Castle||Smoothies|
|Funnel Cake||Adjacent to Blenders||Funnel Cakes|
|Dipper||Opposite entrance to Giant Dipper||Cotton Candy, Popcorn|
|Twinkies||Under Sky Glider Tower #1||Fried Twinkies, Oreos, PB&J|
|Express||Near Sky Glider Tower #1||Dole Whip Pineapple soft serve|
|Fish & Fry||Next to stairs to Sky Glider Tower #1||Seafood, Garlic Fries|
|MidWay Dots||Between stairs and Rock-&-Roll ride||Dippin’ Dots, popcorn|
|Cone Shop||Across from Rock-&-Roll||Soft Serve Ice Cream|
Señor Ted’s 2
|Adjacent to Loggers’ Revenge||Pizza, Mexican, Loaded French Fries, Dogs & Burgers|
|Crazy Churro||Across from Burgers||Fresh-made Churros|
|Dippin’ Dots #2||Adjacent to Crazy Churro||Dippin’ Dots|
|Near Cliffhanger||Sweet Spot = Soft Serve Ice Cream, Cotton Candy
Handout = Corndogs, Fries
|Kettle Korn||Above the Cave Train Area, by ticket booth||Kettle Korn|
|Dippin’ Dots #3||In the Cave Train Area||Dippin’ Dots, Popcorn|
Santa Cruz Warriors Arena
We are delighted at being selected as the food service provider for the Santa Cruz Warriors Arena.Read more
Why Should I Work There?
The “arena season” typically goes from November to April, so it is a great way to continue to make money when the Boardwalk slows down. The shifts are short, exciting, and with the same group of people. Employees say that they love how close they get with their coworkers during arena season and that friendship continues through Spring Break and summertime at the Boardwalk.
How Do I Work There?
All Whiting’s Foods employees need to be certified to work here. We offer different orientations that crew can sign up for to go through the easy certification process. During basketball season, we also accept applications for people who only want to work at the Arena.
Why Do I Need to be Certified?
While very similar to the Boardwalk, the Arena has a few key differences and the certification process ensures that everyone understands the items sold, flow of the games, and the layouts of the stores. Only certified employees will be scheduled at the Arena.
As a Crew Member of Whiting’s Foods you are entitled to a great discount of 50% off the menu price. This deep discount is exclusive to Whiting’s Foods and only applies at our locations. By using the discount you will receive the maximum amount of price reduction available to Whiting’s Foods Crew Members.Read more
- Pay with cash, credit or debit.
- You MUST have your ID card to activate the discount. Without your ID the best discount you can get is the standard Boardwalk employee discount of 20%
- Keep your receipts for the day of purchase — Your Area Supervisor may ask to see it.
- When hanging out on the Boardwalk with your friends or family, you are entitled to the discount and can purchase items for your friends and family! (Must have ID!)
- You cannot ring yourself up. You need to stand in line and have a co-worker ring you up.
- Custom menu items cannot be made. If it is not on the menu, you cannot order it.
- You cannot prepare your own food.
- If you forget your money – ask a friend for a loan!
- Mid-Way Dots is only able to offer 20% discount and payment must be in cash.
- All Crew Members in uniform can receive free soft drinks from the soda fountains. (Smallest size.)
- Beer is never discounted at this 50% off level.
- You are not to extend your discount to other Boardwalk employees. (They have their own discount of 20%.) Our deep discount is a privilege is for Whiting’s Foods Crew Members that we generously have extended to family and friends when you here at the Boardwalk, spending time with them.
- Besides the discount you will get at our locations, the Seaside Company and other independent food service concessionaires offer discounted food/beverage (except for alcohol) items upon presentation of a valid Boardwalk I.D. (See flyer in lobby for details.)
Whiting’s Foods has a unique way of getting its Crew involved in recruiting new crew members. It’s called Crew Search.
Crew Search is simple.Read more
You will be given Crew Search “cards.” They have a space on them for you to write your name. Give these cards to your friends who are interested in working for Whiting’s Foods. Have them include your card with their application.
You will receive a cash reward once your referral has worked for 40 hours.
This is a great way to make extra money! See below for details about the rewards.
To make it even easier to apply online, use our online application.
CREW SEARCH: Just another reason to SMILE about your job!
1st Referral: $25 plus a Crew Search reward item!
Each referral after: $50 each!
- Your CREW SEARCH CARD must be attached to the application OR your name referenced on the online application to get credit.
- Don’t Forget:
- Applications are available at the office or at whitingfoods.com
- In order to get your reward, your referral must work at least 40 hours.
- Reward checks are issued on the same day as paydays.
- Referrals are meant to accumulate on an individual basis.
- Referrals must be NEW to employment at Whitings Foods.
- Program restarts each calendar year.
- Need Ideas?
- Have comment or questions? Call us at 423-1890.
During the summer we proudly hand out Star Cards. The purpose of these fun scratch-off cards is to reward and recognize positive behavior.Read more
The cards may have an instant win scratch off or may give you the opportunity to Spin the Prize Wheel (in the lobby).
Last year we gave out nearly $10,000 in prizes through our Star Card program.
We want to help you develop good work place habits and get the most out of your employment experience.
Some of the areas we look for you to EXCEED expectations are:
- Customer Service: Do you know the FISH Philosophy?
- Choose Your Attitude!
- Be There!
- Make Their Day!
- Cleanliness and Organization of Your Store: Don’t forget to follow the Sanitation and Safety Standards
- Correct Menu Items Preparation and Presentation
Training: Your experience can help with the next new Crew Member you work with.
- Accurate Cash Handling
- Your Schedule: Be on time to work–or maybe even early!
Be familiar with these so that you can win in “5 for 10”
A prize program run by The Santa Cruz Seaside Company where you answer FIVE of these questions correctly and then get TEN “dollars” towards a Boardwalk purchase.
List updated on 1/14/2016
- Do you have maps of the Boardwalk?
- A stock of maps are kept at each Ticket Booth, Guest Services (near Haunted Castle ride), and Season Pass/Group Sales (Entrance 2).
- Where is the closest restroom?
- Boardwalk Bowl in the center of the building
- Casino Arcade by the Shooting Gallery
- Neptune’s Kingdom, 2nd floor
- Either side of Milk Bottles, near the Carousel
- Ramp to right of Logger’s Revenge
- River Parking Lot entrance
- Where is first aid?
- It’s in the Guest Services Office near the Haunted Castle ride and is open when rides are operating.
- Where can I get a drink of water?
- Boardwalk Bowl
- Casino Arcade near the Shooting Gallery
- Neptune’s Kingdom, 2nd floor
- Entrance 2 at the Pirate Ship
- Entrance 3 at the seawall
- Haunted Castle at the seawall
- Guest Services
- Logger’s Revenge ticket booth
- Logger’s Revenge restroom
- Where is the nearest ATM?
- Boardwalk Bowl, near the front desk
- Casino Arcade entrance
- Neptune’s Kingdom, near Mini Golf
- Entrance 2, street side
- Entrance to Beach Lot
- Next to the Giant Dipper Ticket Booth
- Across from the Carousel ride at the seawall
- Next to Rock-O-Plane, across from Bulgy
- Where can I get parking meter change?
- Beach Lot Entrance
- Beach St. at: Cliff St., Riverside Ave., or Third St.
- Guest Services
- Season Pass/Group Sales
- Any Food, Game, or Arcade location
- Can I ride my bike, skateboard, scooter, or roller blades on the boardwalk?
- Sorry, no. West Cliff Drive and the skate park at the Riverside Avenue bridge are both free.
- Where can I park my bike?
- Bike racks are on the street side of Casino Arcade, Neptune’s Kingdom, Carousel ride, or near the River Parking Lot entrance.
- Bike lockers can be rented from Guest Services and are located at the River Parking Lot entrance and the Shoreline Apartments Parking Lot, across Beach Street from Entrance 4.
- What time do the arcades open? What about Boardwalk Bowl?
- Neptune’s Kingdom and the Casino Arcade open one hour before the rides on operating days.
- The Boardwalk Bowl opens at 9:00 a.m.
- What time do the rides open/close?
- It varies. Operating Calendars are available in Guest Services and Season Pass/Group Sales.
- Are there discounts for rides?
- By Day of Week: Ask a Ticket Booth Operator for details about current discounts.
- For Larger Groups: Groups of 20 or more can go to the Season Pass/Group Sales Office.
- Where can I buy a MyBoardwalk card?
- Buy or recharge your Card at Guest Services, Season Pass/Group Sales, Ticket Booths, Attractions, or designated kiosks (in Arcades, or near Milk Bottles, Sea Swings, or Sea Serpent).
- Where can I use MyBoardwalk cards?
- Points can be used for Arcades, Games, or Rides.
- Can I replace a damaged MyBoardwalk card?
- Take the card to Guest Services or Season Pass/Group Sales for validation and re-issue.
- Can individual ride tickets be refunded?
- Your tickets never expire. You can still use them at any ride; each ticket counts as one point.
- Are rides wheelchair accessible?
- Yes, some rides are accessible; a list is available from any Ticket Booth, at Guest Services, or at Season Pass/Group Sales.
- Where can I rent a wheelchair?
- Guest Services or Season Pass/Group Sales. A photo ID and credit card imprint are required as a deposit in addition to the rental fee.
- Where can I rent a stroller?
- Millions of Memories store on the Colonnade.
- Do you have lockers for my stuff?
- Lockers for short-term use can be found:
- In Casino Arcade, near the Shooting Gallery.
- Next to Marini’s Munchies, near Entrance 5
- Near restrooms under Logger’s Revenge ride
- Where can I wash sand off my clothes?
- Foot Wash: on beach outside the Colonnade or on beach across from Haunted Castle.
- Shower: on the beach across from Carousel or the east Sky Glider platform, or at the River Parking Lot entrance
- Where can I get WiFi access?
- The free Wi-Fi signal is strongest on both deck extensions on the beach side of the Boardwalk.
- Where can I charge my electronic device?
- Guest outlets are in Neptune’s Kingdom, 2nd floor.
- Where is a pay phone?
- Outside the Carousel ride, at Entrance 3.
- Where can I buy postage stamps? Where is the mailbox?
- A stamp machine is located at Neptune’s Kingdom Mini Golf course. The mailbox is at Entrance 2, street side.
- Do you have a public paging system?
- If a person is lost, please contact the nearest Employee for Security or check Guest Services.
- Where are lost children & parents reunited?
- If you are looking for a missing child, ask an employee to call 611 and find out whether he or she has been located, then go to Guest Services.If you found a lost child, ask an employee to call 611 to request a Security Officer to escort the child to Guest Services.
- Are pets allowed?
- Sorry, no; pets are not allowed. A listing of dog friendly areas is available in Guest Services.
- Where are the picnic facilities?
- Beach Deck – On beach, south of Casino Arcade.
- Aloha Terrace – On lawn, west of Casino Arcade.
- How do I find a Cocoanut Grove event?
- Entrances A and B: street side near Casino Arcade. Check the sign above each to confirm.
- Entrances C: west end of Colonnade, north side (near Marini’s Candies)
- Entrance D: west end of Colonnade, south side (near Casino Arcade)
- Where can I get Boardwalk historical information?
- You might like to see the Historium photos on the second floor of Neptune’s Kingdom (formerly known as the Plunge Saltwater Pool)
- Keep an eye out for Historic Walking Tour placards located throughout the park
- The Boardwalk’s 100th Anniversary book and DVD (2007) are available for purchase from Millions of Memories on the Colonnade
- Can I smoke on the Boardwalk or the beach?
- Sorry, you can’t. Designated smoking areas are on Beach Street, beyond the railroad tracks.
- Where is alcohol allowed?
- It’s against a city ordinance to drink alcohol on the beach. It is fine on the Boardwalk but, for safety reasons, glass containers are not allowed. Please ask for a cup at any restaurant.
- How can I ride the Roaring Camp train?
- Roaring Camp trains are not operated by the Boardwalk, but Guest Services and Season Pass/Group Sales have schedules. Tickets are purchased directly from the train conductor.
- Where can I go for breakfast?
- Barbary Coast in Neptune’s Kingdom and Boardwalk Bowl both open at 9:00 a.m.
- Can you recommend a good hotel?
- The Carousel Beach Inn is located across Beach Street from the Carousel. The Sea & Sand Inn is located on W. Cliff Drive at the end of Bay Street.